How do we control our Mouths?
October 14th, 2018
Pastor. Kyle Wijnands
- There is power in our words and what we speak over ourselves. There are life and death in the tongue.
- What are we prophesying into our next week or even our next circumstance? What we speak can determine whether our next week is full of blessings or curses.
- Ephesians 5:15 is written to believers because every letter after Acts is written to the church and those who are born-again.
- In verse 15, it states that we only have so much time on this Earth, we must redeem our time because the days are dark. We should use our days wisely, by understanding the will of the Father.
- In verse 18 we see that we must be constantly filled with the Spirit.
- Often we don't enjoy speaking the word of God, we instead talk about our emotions or negative circumstances.
- The scriptures talk about speaking to one another In psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. These are things that are released in the community of believers to build each other up.
- We're to be thanking God always, no matter the circumstance.
1. We need to speak to ourselves the right way
- Hebrews 4:12 and 14 says the Word of God is like a double-edged sword.
- When we're struggling with negativity, this is a heart issue. God can cut to the core of it as our attitude determines what we speak.
- Verse 14. Let us hold close the faith that we profess. What are we speaking about? We need to speak God's Word in our lives.
- We speak in a negative manner all week and then come to church on Sunday expecting others to lay hands on us so that we can be delivered. Speak life over yourself!
2. We need to talk to others right
- We need to build others up, don't tear them down.
Here is a story about the power of our spoken word:
A group of frogs was traveling through the woods, and two of them fell into a deep pit. When the other frogs saw how deep the pit was, they told the two frogs that they were as good as dead. The two frogs ignored the comments and tried to jump up out of the pit with all their might. The other frogs kept telling them to stop, that they were as good as dead. Finally, one of the frogs took heed to what the other frogs were saying and gave up. He fell down and died.
The other frog continued to jump as hard as he could. Once again, the crowd of frogs yelled at him to stop the pain and just die. He jumped even harder and finally made it out. When he got out, the other frogs said, "Did you not hear us?" The frog explained to them that he was deaf. He thought they were encouraging him the entire time.
- Ephesians 4 says "don't let any unwholesome words leave your mouth". People are listening in on the words you speak. They're looking to see if you're really any different from themselves.
- Ephesians 4:30, don't grieve the Holy Spirit in which you were sealed. This seal is for the day of judgment, if we don't speak life then we're grieving the Holy Spirit.
- Verse 31. Get rid of all bitterness, anger, and every form of malice.
3. Don't depress yourself, bless yourself
- Proverbs 18:20-21 "We will eat the outcome of our speech", what are you filling your stomach with? Negativity? Positivity?
- Don't let the Devil have another day, the joy of the Lord is your strength! Keeping the Word of God flowing out of your mouth is a battle that you have to fight daily.
- Isaiah 58, when we wake up we can say "I bless this day!" We should speak this even when we don't feel like it.
- Be busy blessing instead of busy cursing. "I have a pain in my back, I bless my back!"
- Numbers 6:22 we need to bless the community, people, and ourselves. If you don't have anything nice to say, say something different!
- James 3:10, the same mouth should not have blessings and curses in it.
- A born-again believer has more whack in the Spirit, don't curse what God has called good. When a born-again believer curses another believer, these cuts go deep for a reason.
- Deuteronomy 28:2,6. Blessings will overtake us, we need to obey the voice of the Lord. Speaking out the Word of God is an act of obedience, every time we obey, we will be blessed.
- We're not saved by our works, but you're blessed by them.
- We have the power over how we feel, speak out the Word of God when you don't feel like it. This will transform your mind and your emotions will line up.